Monday, February 1, 2010

Maddie's Surgery

Sweet Madelyn had her surgery today and did very well. 85% of the nevus was removed. It's going to look pretty bad for a few weeks but should heal up nicely, just in time for surgery #2. Hopefully that will be the end of surgery for some time.
She had some nerves that crept up on us when we were checking in, but let the nurses get mostly everything they needed to. Once she had the "RELAXING COCKTAIL" she was feeling REALLY good. Things were really amazing to her like her hospital bracelet. She stared at it in awe and said "[Wow!] My bracelet has polka dots on it....(pausing to turn her arm and admire it) ...All the way around!" Then she realized I was in the way of Strawberry Shortcake and she told me I was in the way in a very silly squealing voice. It was hilarious. She was quite the silly one.
Once we got in recovery with her (about 1 hr later), she was convinced the surgery hadn't even happened... She kept asking when we were going to taste the bubblegum-flavored air and go in to surgery... and WHATTHEHECK was wrong with her foot?! It was hurting. I had to explain that it was the IV and she already had the surgery, in which she truly thought I was CRAZY because she remembered none of it.
Coming out of anesthesia she didn't even cry. She slammed down a slushie and had a Popsicle for the road... She rode in the wagon to the car and was fantastic. I'm so proud of her!
It was GREAT.
1 surgery down, 1 or 2 to go!

3 comments:

Wendi said...

She sure is cute. I'm sure that was all very hilarious. I'm ridiculous when I'm trying to wake up after anesthesia. I repeat the same questions about a bazillion times and drive everyone crazy. :)

eve said...

Wow,sounds like you had prepped her (head-wise) very well. When there are awesome parents like you out there to take a lot of the "scary" out of it and answer all the pre-questions, it's usually a ton better. Sounds like it worked for you guys! Next time you'll have to take the video for while she's under the cocktail influence. Those are always hilarious. Glad it went so well for you guys though :)

Sarah said...

Oh good! I'm so glad everything went really well!!