Sunday, November 8, 2009

Accomplishment

So in my church we are organized according to age. Kids under 12 go to Primary. Teens 12-18 go to Young Men's or Young Women's, and 18+ go to Relief Society (for the women) or Elder's Quorum (for the men). Most of us have callings (a title with responsibilities) in the Church. My calling is in Young Women's. In this age group we are trying to prepare young girls to become leaders in their lives, have a testimony of their beliefs, be temple worthy (where we are able to go and be sealed/tied to our families for eternity) and become prepared to be a wife and mother. We do a program that helps the girls strengthen their self worth called Personal Progress. In this program, there are values that have experiences and projects to be completed. The girls have 6 years to complete the program.
Because I teach and work closely with the Young Women, I have also been working toward completing the program. I did a lot of studying the Bible and Book of Mormon, did a variety of projects like juicing grapes and learning to can it, painting a picture for Madelyn, and implementing a Summer-long fitness program. I learned of the sacred nature of Motherhood and the importance of being a good mother, among many other things.
Well, it's been 2 years of my commitment to the program, and I have exciting news to report:

Last week I completed my Personal Progress!

I had an interview with the bishop last week and today received recognition in Sacrament, a meeting where all of the members of our ward are together, young and old. The accomplishment is recognized by an award AND a beautiful necklace of the temple. I chose the silver pendant. I was so nervous, and felt a bit silly being 26 years old receiving an award that most 12-18 yr olds are working on, but it was a great experience. I am happy to show the Young Women I believe in the program, and have a testimony of the ways that the program can strengthen lives. It has helped me to accomplish great things. I have strengthened my testimony of Jesus Christ, and strengthened myself as a mother. I know that being a mother is the most important calling that I have on this Earth and I am happy to have learned how to be better. I am thankful for the opportunity I had to complete the program and am excited to start over again (we are encouraged to start over once we complete the program [indefinitely]). One lady I know is working on completing for the 4th time! I am excited and proud of myself for making a goal and accomplishing it.

3 comments:

eve said...

Way to go!!! sounds like a good goal. Glad you got 'er done, and have a lot to show for it along with a nice necklace.

Wendi said...

Congratulations--that's very impressive! :)

Sarah said...

Congratulations! That was a lot of hard work!!