Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Maddie Update

We had a doctor's appointment and had a great discussion with the doctor about Maddie's "episode". I am so excited for modern medicine and the knowledge that the human race has incurred! What Maddie seems to have is a vasovagal sensitivity; what seems to be the same thing that I had when I was a child. It is a response to stress, high emotions, unpleasant stimuli, etc. He even warned when I curl her hair or braid it that it could trigger "fainting." Much of what I remember in my youth was passing out while getting my hair done. Crazy, huh? So her response was due to seeing her poor brother get his blood drawn; kinda sweet in a way... You can read more about the vasovagal response here.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Wow! I've never heard of that before. My daughter has had a seizure disorder since she was Maddie's age, but hasn't had a seizure since March--which we're SO thankful for. I'm glad you know what to watch for now. :)

eve said...

That is pretty crazy. Glad you got it figured out. She'll be better off than you were. Genetics can be pretty intense!!