Tuesday, March 24, 2009

All Dogs Go to Heaven

So, last night my mom called pretty upset... Her 10 year old dog died while she was at work. It totally blindsided her. No symptoms or indication of sickness... It isn't so painful hearing that Lexi died, but it's a throbbing, peircing pain when I think of my poor mother being upset. I only cry because I'm not there to hold her hand or wrap my arms around her and tell her "everything will be okay" as she did to me so many times when I was young. I am not there to make her feel better. It hurts to think of the loss my mother feels as that little dog filled a piece of her heart in that I took with me when I moved out of the house. My poor mom...

Making me feel better is always food. Perhaps, if my mom were closer I'd bake her cakes and pies and cookies galore to numb and dull the pain she's feeling. Yesterday, I swallowed my emotions and about 20 homemade oreos, which made me feel better until my stomache remembered to feel sick.

Nothing like 2 boxes of Devil's Food Cake Mix, 1.5 cups of shortening and 4 eggs, baked together and filled with more calories. I've never been so careless that I could actually eat 20 more...

On a happier note, I did some other culinary work assembling a diaper cake for a friend on Saturday. I think I like this one better than the last one I made. It might just become my trademark gift at baby showers...

Well, "ho-hum." That's what we say around here when we're a little under the weather...

3 comments:

eve said...

awww, very cute diaper tree...and what a great signature to have! haha....um, the oreos look A-MAZ-ING, you must post recipes with those sorts of drooling pictures that everyone now wants to make. Hello chellie, get with the blogging world...we need the recipe pronto :) Sorry about your mom's dog. SOOOOO sad, believe me, I feel for her. It is like a child is gone. Also glad that you love her so much, not everyone can say that.

Sarah said...

Twenty cookies?? You rock dude! I will have to try those out some time. Sorry to hear about your moms dogs but I guess it did give you a reason to wallow in your sorrows with food. I love to do the same thing.

Wendi said...

Yeah, those homemade Oreos are just the thing to make Eve drool. :) And that diaper cake is an awesome idea! So sorry to hear about your mom's dog. I'm dreading the day when we have to face that with our dog.